[Alt-photo] polymer photogravure book

Clay Harmon clay at clayharmon.com
Thu Sep 14 12:20:01 UTC 2017

I have been in contact with a few of you on the list individually, but I am now putting out this general call for work:

I am in the midst of writing a book on the polymer photogravure process for Routledge Publishing under the Focal Press imprint.

This book will be the second in a series they are planning called Contemporary Practices in Alternative Process Photography. The structure of these books will be roughly 50% how-to and instructional and 50% examples from contemporary artists using the process and some text about their creative practice. I hope to feature currently practicing artists who use the polymer process in their current practice.

Christina Z Anderson is the editor of this series, and her book Gum Printing: A Step-by-Step Manual, Highlighting Artists and Their Creative Practice is the model for the style, structure and composition of the book series. Chris's recently released 'Salted Paper Printing: A Step-by-Step Manual Highlighting Artists' is the first book in the series.

These books are fantastic examples of this exciting single-subject technique+current examples approach that Chris has created.

I am putting this call out to those of you in the alternative process photography world who have made polymer photogravure a part of your creative practice. We are interested in highlighting a full range expressive techniques using photopolymer plates, so don't feel that your submitted work has to be 'straight' photography only.

Basically, as a contributing artist, you would submit half a dozen images or so, along with a bio, artist statement, release, and ideally some writing about the particulars of your creative practice and how the process informs your creative vision.

If you are interested in participating, please let me know and I can send you more concrete particulars of what we will need. The target date for compiling all the artist's submissions is the end of this year.

If you are interested in being a part of this book, please correspond with me directly at w.clay.harmon  (at) gmail.com <http://gmail.com/>

Thanks!

Clay