[Alt-photo] pt/pd book from AIC

Christina Z. Anderson christinazanderson at gmail.com
Wed Sep 27 12:42:55 UTC 2017

Thanks for the endorsement, Eddy! I just received my hard copy of Salted Paper Printing yesterday, weeks, I might add, after all the Amazon pre-order people received theirs! I wonder how Amazon does it.

I was quite apprehensive that the book might not pick up the nuanced color of salted paper but am happy to say that the print version looks surprisingly accurate to my physical prints. This is probably because Mark Nelson gave me a tip a long time ago which seems to work: whatever the image color space, convert it to sRGB first and then convert that to the CMYK profile (a particular CMYK profile that Focal requires; I contract to do all the design and layout of my books so I have to do the converting and such so if it doesn’t look good it is my fault).

Other than that, I haven’t had time to go over it with a fine tooth comb yet, but it is very soul-satisfying to see the book come to fruition after 20 months of labor. Way harder to write for me than Gum Printing because of the immense history involved. And, let’s face it, salted paper is as loose as it is exacting; if there is a problem in your workflow, it’ll show up! Witness the 30 pp. troubleshooting chapter with 70 images :)

Just wait until you see the pt/pd book. I took a picture of it which unfortunately I can’t send through the list, but it is a true “tome.” HUGE.

Chris