[Alt-photo] Gelatin Sizing

Kelcy Patterson jimbobnola at cox.net
Thu Sep 28 19:08:11 UTC 2017

Hi All,

I hate to melt gelatin in hot water.  I prefer that sizing to some others for some processes.  I have a small darkroom, small trays, so to size larger paper I use a brush, but then it gets cold, gels, lumps, etc.  So I tried some tricks used for liquid hide glue.  By adding urea to the melted gelatin at 20% of the wt of gelatin, the gelatin does not gel.  You can add a preservative and put in refrig and it lasts a long time.  Warm it to room temp and brush away.  When hardened with glutaraldehyde it is no longer soluble in cold or hot water.  The urea washes out in the glut bath, or you can wash it in cold water after hardening and drying if worried about the urea.

Jim Patterson, New Orleans