[Alt-photo] Another good paper for cyanotype

Christina Z. Anderson christinazanderson at gmail.com
Thu Feb 1 02:31:26 UTC 2018

Dear All,

Still testing papers for cyanotype…perhaps no one cares but here goes:

Another paper I can wax poetic about for cyanotype. Probably to you Europeans this is old hat because it is not a new paper, only new to the US market.

I have not tested it for platinum/palladium; Mark Nelson will be soon. I’m just on this cyanotype paper testing roll (five months and counting).

Hahnemühle Sumi-E.

It is thin but strong, e.g. you can actually coat and hang it by clothespins to dry. But it is thinner than, say, a typical kozo paper.

It is packaged in the pads, with a sheet between each sheet to protect it so at first you may not know which is the paper!

It is 80 gsm. Very absorbent. Solution shoots through to the back so best to lay it like a U-shape into solution on a piece of glass or plexi, no problem with the cheapness of a cyanotype solution.

No need to tape down. It does not roll up like a scroll when coating like vellum does, but stays flat albeit wrinkles when brushing on the solution (hence the U-shape coating method).

It prints a gorgeous, smooth blue with a long exposure scale (traditional cyanotype 10/10). Some Japanese/Asian papers print fibrous; this does not.

Exposure time calibrated for a 10/10 cyanotype is around 17 minutes.

It is a rice paper so maybe 100% sulphite, but will find out. In any case, it is archival.

It is available in an approximate 19.5x25.5, or a 9.5x12.5-20 sheet pad or a 12x16-20 sheet pad. The latter is here:  https://www.dickblick.com/items/12487-1012/ <https://www.dickblick.com/items/12487-1012/>. At $1.36 per 12x16 sheet, this is really reasonable, perfect for a student budget. My students were thrilled with it.

The End.