[Alt-photo] Another good paper for cyanotype

Christina Z. Anderson christinazanderson at gmail.com
Mon Feb 5 14:50:29 UTC 2018

Keith,

Yeah, the wait for Herschel is long and the price with shipping is a bit beyond student budgets. Europe is lucky in the availability of some great papers and some great paper stores.

Thanks for the tips on the two Japanese papers.

If you cannot get the traditional cyanotype to work this may work for you as it did for me in this dry climate: dilute your A (if it is 20%) to a 10 % FAC and increase your PF to 10%. It absorbs into the paper better and prints a smoother, less gritty tone with less wash-off. It also is, surprisingly, faster on most papers I have tested (of course, all problems that the Ware formula solves).

When compiling a chart of 100+ formulas throughout history, I noticed the FAC:PF was all over the place albeit not often more PF than FAC. I thought I would start, then, with equal proportions and move up in FAC from there. I ended up staying with 10/10 because it looked great.

When I started the cyanotype class in school I reverted to my usual 20/10 mix I always use for the class, and noted an immediate problem with grain and grit and wash off again. I went back to the 10/10 and their prints looked great (and were faster by1/2-1 stop, not slower).

Chris