[Alt-photo] Dichromates and Septic System?

Darkrooms, Department of Art darkroommanager at cornell.edu
Thu Feb 15 15:48:25 UTC 2018

Hi David,

Could you describe your process for doing this? Do you use certain amounts?

Thank you,
Jennifer Gioffre
Art and Photography Studio Manager
College of Architecture Art and Planning
Cornell University
102a Tjaden Hall
Ithaca, NY 14853

t.  607-255-4207
f.  607-255-3462
Jmg393 at cornell.edu
Darkroommanager at cornell.edu
AAPstore at cornell.edu
On 2/15/18, 8:55 AM, "Alt-photo-process-list on behalf of David Robertson via Alt-photo-process-list" <alt-photo-process-list-bounces at lists.altphotolist.org on behalf of alt-photo-process-list at lists.altphotolist.org> wrote:

    Adding a reducing agent like sodium sulphite (or bisulphite) would reduce the chromium to the 3+ oxidation state. Chromium (III) is much less toxic than chromium (VI). I always do this before disposing of any hexavalent chromium compounds.

    David