[Alt-photo] Dichromates and Septic System?

David Robertson david at robertson.yt
Thu Feb 15 17:12:00 UTC 2018

Adding sulphite to a dichromate solution causes the colour to change from orange/yellow to green. Since sulphite is cheap (I actually sell sodium sulphite on eBay so I have rather a lot of it) I just toss in an arbitrary amount, probably way more than is necessary. Not very scientific! Once it’s been reduced to Cr(III) I just rinse it down the drain with plenty of water - though I don’t have a septic tank.

David