[Alt-photo] cyanotype paper

Keith Schreiber keith at jkschreiber.com
Wed Feb 21 18:15:46 UTC 2018

Hi John,

Crane's Paper Co no longer exists, at least not in the form it used to. A year ago or so I did stumble across something interesting, though. Crane's has been absorbed by Neenah Paper <http://www.neenahpaper.com/finepaper/cranepapers>. There is a bewildering array of papers though, much more than I ever remember seeing from Crane's when it was independent, so they might just be using the name. The nearest thing I found that may be similar to what you are looking for is under the heading Crane's Crest <http://www.neenahpaper.com/FinePaper/CRANEPapers/CRANESCRESTPapers>, though finding the right one will be a challenge, and there's no telling if it is the same as it used to be.

Another interesting thing - a couple or 3 years ago I was in a paper shop somewhere and saw a box of Crane's writing paper similar to the one I learned Pt/Pd printing on back in 1991. It looks the same and feels the same, and still has the annoying random watermarks, but I bought a couple boxes to try. It didn't work well at all for Pt/Pd, but it is lovely for New Cyanotype. There is a Crane's Paper <http://www.crane.com/product/32-lb-pearl-white-kid-finish-8-1-and-2-x-11-sheets/PS8111> website that seems to be separate from Neenah (at least I see no overlap) where you can find it. The old version of this paper had the product ID AS8111. This one is PS8111.

Last fall I did a fair amount of paper testing with New Cyanotype, and the best and most consistent results I found were on Arches Platine. The light-weight version (145gsm) is particularly nice. I had some weird splotchiness on some tests done on the other standard Pt/Pd papers - Bergger COT320, Revere, and HPR - though if that can be solved all 3 of those would be good. Some others that worked well after a sulfamic acid pre-treatment include Fabriano Artistico EW, Rives BFK, and Stonehenge.

There is a new paper from Hahnemuhle called SumiE that Christina and others have been touting recently. I haven't tried it yet, but it's on my list for the next round of testing. It doesn't seem to be widely available yet, at least in the US, but Dick Blick <https://www.dickblick.com/products/hahnemuhle-sumi-e-paper-pads/?clickTracking=true&wmcp=pla&wmcid=items&wmckw=12487-1095&gclid=Cj0KCQiAzrTUBRCnARIsAL0mqczC4uoA86y9bCBQT82W9uWxeTsvbmODs8lGpx7yAScLwEW0vXnAY9caAmsbEALw_wcB> has it.

Hope this helps,
Keith

"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better."
~ Samuel Beckett