[Alt-photo] cyanotype paper

Christina Z. Anderson christinazanderson at gmail.com
Thu Feb 22 20:24:14 UTC 2018

> There is a new paper from Hahnemuhle called SumiE that Christina and others have been touting recently. I haven't tried it yet, but it's on my list for the next round of testing. It doesn't seem to be widely available yet, at least in the US, but Dick Blick <https://www.dickblick.com/products/hahnemuhle-sumi-e-paper-pads/?clickTracking=true&wmcp=pla&wmcid=items&wmckw=12487-1095&gclid=Cj0KCQiAzrTUBRCnARIsAL0mqczC4uoA86y9bCBQT82W9uWxeTsvbmODs8lGpx7yAScLwEW0vXnAY9caAmsbEALw_wcB> has it.
> Hope this helps,
> Keith

Keith and John,
Sumi-e is not at all like Cranes and would only be what you are looking for if you want a washi. It is very thin and Cranes was more like a sort of…card stock thickness. Or maybe I’m thinking of Crane’s Platinotype and not Wove Finish? Sumi-e does print an incredibly smooth tonal range. Actually Cranes almost has the feel of Legion Rising Drawing Bristol 2-ply (Rising Artist’s Bristol at Dick Blick) which I have found good for traditional cyanotype.
If he wants a washi more like Crane’s, I would highly recommend the Japanese Mulberry/Heavy Kozo paper that Bostick and Sullivan sells. It prints a beautiful and smooth turquoise blue and is a cream color like Crane’s Cover/Platinotype used to be. And it  has a very smooth front with a more textured back.
However, I am not using Ware’s but traditional and my testing has not begun with Ware’s yet.
One other AWESOME choice for a cream colored paper is from Twinrocker, either May Linen or Cream in a cotton or cotton rag LA or light art weight, and have them hot press it on one side. Twinrocker papers are not buffered. I do not like their three watercolor papers, even if they were hot pressed. They are still too textured. I gave them my best shot, really, but no. Their other papers are the BOMB. Twinrocker is not cheap though, $12.60 for a 22x30. But Platine is not cheap either. Hahnemuhle Platinum Rag is excellent for cyanotype but is not cream.
With acidification I bet Stonehenge and Lenox 100 could come close and they are very cheap. Both creamy white. But there are so many good papers not requiring acidification that I prefer to go that route.
Chris