[Alt-photo] HOW DID FILM (AND PRINT) FORMATS ORIGINATE?

bobkiss caribsurf.com bobkiss at caribsurf.com
Mon Feb 26 16:01:55 UTC 2018

DEAR LIST,

A friend who is teaching asked me how our standard film (and print) formats originated, especially 4x5 8x10, 11x14, 16x20 inches. As these are in the "English" system (inches) there may be or have originally been different formats "on the continent" (Europe). She points out that painters have historically used "the golden mean" (a 1.68 aspect ratio) but photographers never seem to have recognized its significance, at least not in their standard camera/film/print formats.

My guess was that it had to do with standard copper plate sizes for dags (full plate, half plate, quarter plate) or glass plate sizes. Of course, banquet cameras toss all this to the wind! LOL!!!

I bet Richard and a few others will have some great info on this topic.

CHEERS!
BOB