[Alt-photo] HOW DID FILM (AND PRINT) FORMATS ORIGINATE?

John Brewer john at johnbrewerphotography.com
Mon Feb 26 16:16:02 UTC 2018

I believe you are right Bob, it came from the size/shape of engraving
plates. The original plate sizes were full plate or whole plate (6.5" x
8.5") half plate, quarter plate and several other odd ones like 9th plate,
16th plate &c. Not sure where 5x4, 8x10 and 10x12, for example, came from.
I must say I don't like these shapes, a stubby rectangle that wants to be a
square. 5x7 and square, however, are my favourite formats.

Cheers

On 26 February 2018 at 16:01, bobkiss caribsurf.com via
Alt-photo-process-list <alt-photo-process-list at lists.altphotolist.org>
wrote:

> DEAR LIST,
>
> A friend who is teaching asked me how our standard film (and print)
> formats originated, especially 4x5 8x10, 11x14, 16x20 inches. As these are
> in the "English" system (inches) there may be or have originally been
> different formats "on the continent" (Europe). She points out that painters
> have historically used "the golden mean" (a 1.68 aspect ratio) but
> photographers never seem to have recognized its significance, at least not
> in their standard camera/film/print formats.
>
> My guess was that it had to do with standard copper plate sizes for dags
> (full plate, half plate, quarter plate) or glass plate sizes. Of course,
> banquet cameras toss all this to the wind! LOL!!!
>
> I bet Richard and a few others will have some great info on this topic.
>
> CHEERS!
> BOB

John Brewer
www.thevictorianphotographer.com
www.johnbrewerphotography.com
workshops:equipment sales:chemistry sales