[Alt-photo] Vacuum Units?we

Gordon Holtslander gjh at shaw.ca
Tue Feb 27 19:16:56 UTC 2018

Hi:

Images posted here:
https://500px.com/GordonJHoltslander/galleries/gear

1st image - the frame with mylar folded back.
Used 3/4 inch plywood and 1/4 pegboard with 1 inch grid, both pieces cut to same size. Made to accomodate the largest negatives I use, 12x18 inch.

placed pegboard on plywood. Marked the holes of the pegboard arround its edges the plywood underneath. Used staightedge guide and router to cut grooves along the longest edge. One groove along shortest axis to join all the grooves. Drilled 1/4 hole parelled to suface to one of the grooves.

Make sure no grooves extend beyond edge of plywood, Applied wood glue on edges and within grid to seal pegboard to the plywood. Weighed down and let dry.

A set of holes to allow placement of registration pins is also drilled into pegboard.

2nd photo - the connector hole
3rd photo - mylar over the frame

>From my photos looks like I never bothered painting the edge.

In use the largest piece of paper/media must allow at least one row of pegboard holes, connected to vacuum grid, around the perimeter of media to allow vacuum to form.

Once shop vac is connected and turned on the mylar must be held flat with negative and media between it. If media is curled often takes a few tries to flatten for vacuum to form. A 2nd panel the same size could be used to hold negative and media down to form vacuum.

Gordon J. Holtslander
gjh at shaw.ca
Learn about HSP http://sp-foundation.org