[Alt-photo] HOW DID FILM (AND PRINT) FORMATS ORIGINATE?

Jalo Porkkala jporkkala at gmail.com
Wed Feb 28 21:15:42 UTC 2018

In his recent dissertation "The Techniques and Material Aesthetics of the
Daguerreotype" renowned daguerreotypist Mike Robinson presents a hypothesis
that Daguerre adopted the full-plate size (as it came to be known) due to
technological limits and expense of optical glass manufacturing at the
time. Daguerre's 1839 lens was an achromatic plano-convex doublet that just
covered a plate size of 164 mm x 216 mm. So this became the full plate, and
other sizes were derived from that... half-plates, quarter-plates,
sixth-plates, etc... all historic standards from the 19th century.

https://www.dora.dmu.ac.uk/xmlui/handle/2086/14332  (pages 250-251, 355)

-Jalo