[Alt-photo] Albumin powder

Serdar Bilici sbilici at gmail.com
Thu Jan 4 14:59:15 UTC 2018

Hello Victor,

Reasons similar to yours I started using powdered albumen, instead of real
eggs. I believe the finest quality you can get is the industrial product
used in food industry.
I bought mine from a pastry and catering oriented company. Be careful
powdered meringue sometimes contains starches and gums.

I use powdered egg white mostly with collodion negatives, but it also works
for coating thick acetate that I use for double transfer carbon printing.
For collodion negatives I use a formula that I took from some book but I
can't recall which one.
1gr albumen powder, 300ml of water and 1ml of ammonia (helps with shelf
life).
I don't see any reason why it won't work with albumen prints, I recall
seeing formulas for that.

But for albumen printing, whipping the egg whites denatures some proteins.
Aging before using ferments the sugars in it and acid also aids in
denaturing proteins.
Albumen used in printing goes through very complex process before being
ideal to use.

I made a few  albumen prints and I really dislike the process, but if I had
to do it again I would have only used real chicken eggs for it.
But of course experienced albumen printers would know more about it.

For the rest I am extremely happy with powdered egg whites.

Hope it helps
Serdar

On Thu, Jan 4, 2018 at 5:18 PM, Victor Malakhov via Alt-photo-process-list <