[Alt-photo] Denise Ross

Christina Z. Anderson christinazanderson at gmail.com
Fri Jan 5 00:42:29 UTC 2018

Dear List,
I hope everyone has had a great holiday season. Mine isn’t quite over yet, thank heavens! A few more days before being back to work.

I posted this call for work on Facebook but in case some of you practice this and aren’t on FB here is what I said. Note, please contact Denise directly, not me!
Chris

Do any of you make your own silver gelatin emulsions/papers?
If so, this opportunity is for you!
As many of you know, I am the series editor for Contemporary Practices in Alternative Process Photography (Focal Press/Routledge). Gum Printing and Salted Paper Printing started the series and more books are in the works, though I don't reveal authors/titles until they feel ready.
I am happy to announce that Denise Ross is currently writing a book on Handmade Silver Gelatin Emulsion Paper for the series. Here is Ross' call for images below and information about the book.

Due date for submission of images is February 15. Please send questions directly to Denise at editor at thelightfarm.com. In Denise's own words, "Please do not be reluctant to submit work. This is a unique opportunity to be included in one the first books published on this topic, and Focal Press books are gorgeous."
From Denise Ross:
RE: Open call for handmade silver gelatin emulsion paper prints, alone or with supporting text.Please submit to Dropbox or WeTransfer and send the URL to editor at thelightfarm.com for the following:
1. 3-10 images, sRGB colorspace, sized no larger than 300ppi, 10˝ longest side, TIFF, no compression. Please include at least one vertical image and one horizontal in the bunch, which insures a greater chance of fitting into multiple page formats and layouts. Note: The prints do not need to be “perfect” or conventional. Indeed, images of your explorations and work-in-progress are very welcome. Please contact me at editor at thelightfarm.com and I will be delighted to discuss ideas for your submission. Because handmade silver gelatin emulsion paper is such a new medium, I am especially interested in hearing about how you got interested in, and started making, silver gelatin emulsions, including how you have organized your workspace. Newcomers to the process are very welcome to submit work.
2. If images have been previously published, where.
3. Include year, title, and size of work.
4. Include recipe used to make the prints, including any toning.
5. Include exactly how you want your name to appear next to the work. Example: Beaver Pond #1, © Denise Ross, 2015
6. The artist must have permission forms for any person(s) or property in the photograph if applicable.
7. Include a short bio; no more than 200 words.
8. Include a short artist statement (what is this work about? Does it come from a larger series? What is its concept, meaning, or content? How did you get interested in and started with silver gelatin emulsions? How have you organized your workspace? What are your goals for further work?
9. Deadline for submitting work is February 15, 2018, but send work any time before that date. The earlier the better.
10. If accepted, there will be an additional requirement of an approximately 500–1500-word questionnaire of working process, details to be sent out to entrants upon acceptance.
11. If accepted, there will also be a release form to fill out, sign, and send back to me electronically prior to publication.
Note: Submission is no guarantee your image(s) will be published. Although there is no monetary compensation, the benefits are a publication line on your résumé, and inclusion in a contemporary historical snapshot of handmade silver gelatin emulsion printing.

Christina Z. Anderson
Contemporary Practices in Alternative Process Photography series <https://www.routledge.com/Contemporary-Practices-in-Alternative-Process-Photography/book-series/CPAPP>