[Alt-photo] Salted Paper - double coating

CLIFTON earlj at comcast.net
Sun Jan 7 17:47:52 UTC 2018

I have been working with the same section of the book. I find that the second coat of silver nitrate can happen before the first is completely dry. However, it is important that the sheet dries completely before exposure. I tried to cheat with a hair dryer, and my results were not as good as when I waited overnight before I exposed. The image is not as strong when the sheet is not completely dry. I am sure that the humidity in your drying area makes a difference. I suspect that the formation of silver chloride in the the paper fibers is dependent on the dryness of the sheet.

One of the benefits of using the citric acid in the salting solution is the lack of a dark reaction, which allows some time between coating and exposure.

Earl Johnson

Sent from XFINITY Connect Mobile App