[Alt-photo] Troubles with Calotypes, James' "Contemporary" Method

Ned Lewis nl at nedlewis.org
Wed Jan 10 05:00:26 UTC 2018

I've not tired Rives BFK but the Canson Universal Sketch is buffered and
does not work with the calotype processes I've tried.  I have not tried a
pre-silvered process like the one you are using, I think if anything they
might be more susceptible to paper problems.

1:1 ANS and saturated gallic sounds like way too much ANS to me... some
calotypes can be developed without ANS at all, if like yours, they are not
washed after sensitizing.  When we do need ANS, the amount varies from just
a few drops to just a few ml.   I don't have a copy of the James book, but
glancing at it in Google Books I noticed something odd... I saw the part
that said to mix ANS to gallic 1:1, but a page or two before, on page 73
writing about "part A-2", he says, "The silver and acid restrainer should
be added to the developer little by little as needed as you develop the
image".  That sounds more like what I'm aware of.

You could try acidifying the paper prior to preparing it for a calotype.

Good luck!

On Tue, Jan 9, 2018 at 6:26 PM, Marek Matusz via Alt-photo-process-list <