[Alt-photo] Troubles with Calotypes, James' "Contemporary" Method

Brittonie brittonie at gmail.com
Wed Jan 10 10:38:47 UTC 2018

Hi there,

I know canson marker works very well.

Another thing (I think we were talking on Facebook)

When you say new brush  do you mean one new brush for each step?

I've found that the only way to get decent results in my workflow is new gloves and a new cotton swab for each step and very carefully keeping my coating spaces clean and seperate - using the same brush particularly with the Gallic acid or acetonitrate tends to darken and ruin any hope of image... I also found if I kept the same gloves on all through the process fingerprints and marks end up everywhere.

I'm a fairly free going printer in that I tend to be a little loose with measurements and coatings generally but calotype is sooooooo sensitive I really really have to reign it in- which I like. It makes me have a better working practice in other things.

The cotton ball "buckle brush" is good because of the quick disposable nature and lack of contamination. I generally don't like to make a lot of easy in printing but definitely think this is another good place to start.

Also found I didn't need as much of the developer or even half the time suggested in the James book.