[Alt-photo] Alt-photo-process-list Digest, Vol 189, Issue 4

Dan Estabrook daniel at danestabrook.com
Wed Jan 10 14:45:08 UTC 2018

Hi Jason,

Your method is correct, but, as everyone says, Calotype is so sensitive that small things can make a huge difference.

First of all, paper is a big deal. You may have seen on here all the discussions with Salt Printing and buffered papers—well, Calotype is worse. You need a thin paper for printing, so acidifying is extra difficult (tho it works), and you need good wet strength for all that washing. Definitely try Canson Marker Pro; it will work consistently well for you. (Feel free to try other things once you have it down.)
https://www.dickblick.com/products/canson-pro-layout-marker-paper/ <https://www.dickblick.com/products/canson-pro-layout-marker-paper/>

Next, as Brittonie mentioned, brushes are a problem, too. Basically, you need a brand-new brush for every step (except the initial pre-silvering.) For that reason, use a cotton-ball buckle brush, or do what I do—a new large cotton ball pinched in my (gloved) fingers. That means one for sensitizing, one for developing, and a new one for any other steps (see below.) Contamination can happen easily.

Last (for now), the safelight must indeed be very low, as you guessed. Red is safer than amber.

As for developers and things, I do use the full 1:1 of ANS & Gallic Acid, and wait for the image to come up strong. (It should happen pretty quickly.) Once it’s all there, dip a NEW cotton ball in distilled water and wash the surface lightly but well. I then usually do another step of straight Gallic Acid for a minute or so—it deepens your blacks and keeps them from lightening up in the fix. Wash well in tap before you go into the fix.

Feel free to ask more. I’ve taught a whole lot of Calotypists over the years, tho I don’t know how many people stick with the absurdities and frustrations… Still one of my all-time favorites.

Yours,
Dan