[Alt-photo] negatives for salted paper

Christina Z. Anderson christinazanderson at gmail.com
Thu Jan 11 16:24:31 UTC 2018

Kristel,

Use Ultrachrome inks but with salted paper I use an all ink negative with a +30 ink density on a 3880 and Pictorico Ultra OHP. It works great. I do the same with a P800, but I will say the P800 tends to print denser and smoother than the 3880.

I used this technique for a semester long salt class with 15 students so it was definitely tested in easily (I calculated based on assignments) 450 prints in that class.

The difference between salt and cyanotype, for instance, is with cyanotype I use an all ink neg with even as low as a -20% ink density!

Once you get the negative right, salted paper just “sings.”

Chris

Christina Z. Anderson
Contemporary Practices in Alternative Process Photography series <https://www.routledge.com/Contemporary-Practices-in-Alternative-Process-Photography/book-series/CPAPP>