[Alt-photo] Troubles with Calotypes, James' "Contemporary" Method

Ned Lewis nl at nedlewis.org
Fri Jan 12 02:00:15 UTC 2018

Hi Jason,

In my google books "snippet view" some pages were not displayed and I
missed that the development was by brushing on the developer.  1:1 ANS to
galic makes more sense for that.  If you try that, be *very* gentle with a
cotton swab or soft brush, not rubbing the paper at all.

People have experienced mixed luck with Canson Marker.  It did not work for
me with Geenlaw's process unless I acidified it, and even then the paper
did not keep well after iodizing.  Something changed a couple years ago,
but there may still be some "good" pads around.

I acidified it by soaking for 1/2 hour in a mixture of 1 part white
distilled vinegar to 2 parts distilled water.  Then I washed for an hour or
so and dried.
I know others have used citric acid.  Maybe someone can chime in about that.

For salt prints, I've acidified papers using 2% citric acid and also
sulfamic acid.  When I used 10% sulfamic acid ( see thread here at photrio
<https://www.photrio.com/forum/threads/sulfamic-acid-for-paper-acidification.102747/>
), I found that it damaged the paper sizing and in doing so brought out
screen markings, at least on the two or three kinds of paper I tried.  2%
sulfamic acid worked better, but these days I try to find papers that work
without doing more than adding a little citric acid to the salting solution.

Have fun and good luck!
Ned

On Wed, Jan 10, 2018 at 3:08 PM, J. Jason Lazarus via
Alt-photo-process-list <alt-photo-process-list at lists.altphotolist.org>