[Alt-photo] Troubles with Calotypes, James' "Contemporary" Method

Niranjan Patel nirpat89 at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 12 11:26:37 UTC 2018

If the paper is buffered, the first step of silver nitrate application would result into silver carbonate formation (assuming the buffering agent is calcium carbonate.)  Then the question is how much does the potassium iodide play a role subsequently.  Depending on the equilibrium kinetics of carbonate vs iodide, one might be exposing not silver iodide but predominantly silver carbonate.  Buffered paper can give a decent salted paper image without the use of any salt at all:

https://www.photrio.com/forum/threads/salt-free-salt-print-toned-with-himalayan-black-salt.155417/

Acidification with acids that give insoluble or somewhat insoluble calcium salts such as calcium oxalate (from oxalic acid) or calcium citrate (citric acid) will react with silver nitrate as well to give silver oxalate, citrate respectively - once again complicating the subsequent salting step.  In that respect, sulfamic acid might be a better option as calcium sulfamate is water soluble that can be washed out from the paper, leaving bare paper.  I have also found, not unlike Ned's experience, that sulfamic acid treatment makes the paper very absorbing and porous (some of the gelatin sizing leaches out at low pH, isoelectric point of gelatin being somewhere around pH of 5.)

:Niranjan.