[Alt-photo] sulphite papers

Christina Z. Anderson christinazanderson at gmail.com
Mon Jan 15 16:55:33 UTC 2018

Bob,

I totally agree with you. When I went to the salted paper conference at Harvard which was almost all archivists/conservationists I realized their nightmares are people who don’t care about how long their prints last. We should all treat our work as if it is precious and going into museums one day. That isn’t pride, that is being considerate of others.

Which is what prompted my question: how long does 100% sulphite last? What about 100% high alpha cellulose, is that trustworthy? What about bamboo, esparto, jute, etc? It seems paper manufacturers tout the high alpha cellulose as being archival.

But if photo paper is made from wood, and it lasts as long as it does, that is good news.

Chris

Christina Z. Anderson
Contemporary Practices in Alternative Process Photography series <https://www.routledge.com/Contemporary-Practices-in-Alternative-Process-Photography/book-series/CPAPP>

> On Jan 15, 2018, at 9:42 AM, bobkiss caribsurf.com via Alt-photo-process-list <alt-photo-process-list at lists.altphotolist.org> wrote:
>
> DEAR CHRIS & SIEGFRIED,
>
> I believe that, as always, longevity is a question of how the finished prints are kept. Higher humidity, temps and concentrations of aerosol pollutants accelerate degradation and inversely. Perhaps Siegfried can say whether photo paper manufacturers removed the lignin from their papers as he described. I find it easier and safer to stick with 100% cotton papers. There are a plethora of sources, surfaces, tones, textures, etc.
>
> Chris, I know you are doing extensive research on papers so my preference for cotton papers is not relevant to your efforts...just my personal bias.
>
> But be careful not to print anything that you want to last on paper with lignin. Remember, I have curated collections of negatives and prints from as long ago as 1880 and have literally cried when I saw some of the mistakes people made and the images that were lost. When I have discussed this in the past, many have said, "I don't care if my photos last 100 years!" Well, you might not but it is highly likely SOMEONE will! Every photo, regardless of the purpose for its creation, is an historical document, perhaps irrelevant to you but filled with information for those in the future! Unless you are into recycling paper, if you are going to the trouble of making the print, make it to last!
>
> CHEERS!
> BOB

>>> 100% alpha cellulose
>>> 100% cellulose
>>> 100% gampi
>>> 100% kozo
>>> 100% linen
>>> 100% mitsumata
>>> 100% rag
>>> 100% sulphite
>>> 15% cotton/85% alpha cellulose
>>> 25% cotton/75% sulphite
>>> 30% post-consumer materials
>>> 50% cotton
>>> 50% cotton/50% sulphite
>>> 50% kozo/50% sulphite
>>> 60% cotton/40% linen
>>> 60% cotton/40% sulphite
>>> 75% cotton, 25% high alpha cellulose
>>> 75% cotton/25% esparto
>>> 85% cotton/15% linen
>>> 90% bamboo 10% rag