[Alt-photo] sulphite papers

Keith Schreiber keith at jkschreiber.com
Mon Jan 15 20:48:56 UTC 2018

Kozo (paper mulberry, Broussonetia papyrifera) is also a bast fiber, as it comes from the inner bark or phloem of the plant. It is not a seed fiber. Kapok is another example of a seed fiber. Kudzu is is another example of a bast fiber (just for you, Chris!)

Kozo is abundant, cultivated, and in some places is considered a weed.

Cheers,
Keith

> On Jan 15, 2018, at 9:15 AM, Siegfried Rempel via Alt-photo-process-list <alt-photo-process-list at lists.altphotolist.org> wrote:
>
> Fibers are classified into a number of groups.
> Bast fibers are typically flax (linen), jute and I believe mitsumata and
> gampi are in this group. Microscopically they are structurally similar.
> Cotton and kozo are often grouped together and are referred to as "seed"
> fibers, I've forgotten the proper term for these two.
> Then we have hardwood and softwoods and straws etc,
>
> Years ago (1977 or so) I did a microscopic review of the Japanese repair
> papers being used in paper conservation to confirm the quality of fibers
> being used and found that a number of the papers being sold as Japanese
> papers had additions of Douglas fir fibers added to the Japanese kozo to
> reduce the cost and increase the bulk of the paper.
>
> The pure Japanese fiber papers always worked with the sensitizers I used.
>

> On Mon, Jan 15, 2018 at 9:01 AM, Christina Z. Anderson <
> christinazanderson at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Siegfried.
>> I never knew that photo paper was made from wood! Thank you for that
>> tidbit! I never even thought, I suppose, about what photo paper was made
>> from.
>> What is “non-bast?”
>> Chris
>>
>> Christina Z. Anderson
>> *Contemporary Practices in Alternative Process Photography* series
>> <https://www.routledge.com/Contemporary-Practices-in-Alternative-Process-Photography/book-series/CPAPP>
>>

>> On Jan 15, 2018, at 8:57 AM, Siegfried Rempel <siegfriedrempel at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> Properly processed fibers from wood and non-bast fiber sources can be used
>> as evidenced by the commercial photo paper manufactures having used these
>> fiber sources for years.
>> Its quite possible that there are papers among your list that that will be
>> archival and non-reactive with the light sensitive solutions we are using.
>>

>> On Mon, Jan 15, 2018 at 8:14 AM, Christina Z. Anderson via
>> Alt-photo-process-list <alt-photo-process-list at lists.altphotolist.org>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Dear List,
>>>
>>> Still working on paper testing and I had a question. Below is a list of
>>> paper content that I have come across in 100+ papers.
>>>
>>> I understand that gampi, kozo, cotton, linen, and mitsumata fibers are
>>> all excellent and archival papers.
>>>
>>> I am unclear about sulphite, bamboo, cellulose, high alpha cellulose.
>>>
>>> This may be a question for an archivist (Kim DuBoise?).
>>>
>>> Does anyone know the archival life of a wood pulp, sulphite paper, or
>>> cellulose paper as compared to a cotton paper?
>>>
>>> Chris
>>>
>>> 10% cotton/ 90% cellulose
>>> 100% alpha cellulose
>>> 100% cellulose
>>> 100% gampi
>>> 100% kozo
>>> 100% linen
>>> 100% mitsumata
>>> 100% rag
>>> 100% sulphite
>>> 15% cotton/85% alpha cellulose
>>> 25% cotton/75% sulphite
>>> 30% post-consumer materials
>>> 50% cotton
>>> 50% cotton/50% sulphite
>>> 50% kozo/50% sulphite
>>> 60% cotton/40% linen
>>> 60% cotton/40% sulphite
>>> 75% cotton, 25% high alpha cellulose
>>> 75% cotton/25% esparto
>>> 85% cotton/15% linen
>>> 90% bamboo 10% rag