[Alt-photo] ziatype question

Robert Krawiec robk64 at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 29 21:34:46 UTC 2018

Hi Bob,
I've dabbled a little with ziatypes. I like the concept, but I've only rarely been able to get a really good dmax out of this process.

I initially used some Polaroid 55 negatives to play around and decided that I liked the gold chloride with sodium tungsten effect (a nice brown-blue split), so I tailored my digital negatives to this mix. Ziatype is pretty tolerant so you can use other mixes and still get a decent print out, then use some of the other chemistry to bump or reduce contrast. Last resort for me is creating a new curve for my digital negs (I use piezography inks, for me the simplest method out there).
Good luck!
Rob