[Alt-photo] Mike ware cynaotype - help needed

Cyril ANDRE cyrilandre.art at gmail.com
Tue Jun 5 13:49:31 UTC 2018

Hi everyone,

I have a question regarding the Mike Ware’s cyanotype formula.
I’ve made a batch of solution in order to make 750 ml of cyanotype.

Unfortunately I surely made a mistake because the solution is very dark,
more emerald green toward strong blue than the olive-green I usually have.

When I tested the solution on Berger COT320 paper, it ended up turning
green almost immediately…

However, after the development process the result seems good, but I don’t
feel comfortable at all with the solution I made, I don’t want my prints to
end up bad in the future.

Would you please help me understand what turned bad?

This is the recipe I made for a final 750 ml solution:

• Potassium ferricyanide = 75 gr.
• purified water = 150 ml

• Ammonium Iron (III) oxalate = 225 gr.
• purified water = 225 ml
• Ammonium dichromate = 0.75gr.

The two solutions were very hot when mixed together and then left overnight
to crystallize.
• The amount of crystals after decantation was about 105 gr.
• The amount of filtrated liquid was about 450 ml.

I made up the filtered solution with purified water to make a total of 750
ml solution.

As you can see, I multiplied the compounds by x7.5 the initial recipe.
Did I make a rookie mistake?

Many thanks for your help.

Cyril