[Alt-photo] Call for work for a new book on Carbon Transfer Printing

ac7zg at frontier.com ac7zg at frontier.com
Sat Jun 9 20:35:36 UTC 2018

From: Sandy King, Don Nelson, John Lockhart

RE: Open Call for CARBON TRANSFER IMAGES

Focal press, an imprint of Routledge, has spearheaded a series entitled
Contemporary Practices in Alternative Process Photography, of which
Christina Anderson is the series editor.  Each book is devoted to a single
process and its related techniques.  Now Sandy King, John Lockhart and I are
teaming up to publish a book on Carbon Transfer Images.  We are inviting you
to submit images of your actual work. Please submit to Dropbox, or some
other transfer technique (NOT by email) and send me the URL to
CarbonTransferPrinter at gmail.com <mailto:CarbonTransferPrinter at gmail.com>
for the following:

1.	3-10 images with embedded sRGB colorspace, sized no larger than
300ppi, 10" longest side, TIFF, no compression. Please include at least one
vertical image and one horizontal image in the submission, which ensures a
great chance of fitting into multiple page formats and layouts. (you may
choose to place a color checking tool alongside the image).  Please send
ONLY images of carbon transfer prints that you have actually completed; no
mockups or photoshop, etc mockups of future prints.  It is likely that you
will have to photograph your images with a digital camera- I have found that
my scanner has reflected light from the dense areas of a carbon transfer
print that makes such scans unusable.   Please identify your images by
prefacing them with your name followed by underscore then title (example:
SandyKing_GeorgiaIsland_1.tiff
2.	Please include images of failed prints (enlarged areas preferred)
for failures section of the book.
3.	In a Word .docx in the folder, the following information (for
captioning if selected):

a.	If the images have been previously published, where?
b.	Year, Title, Size of work, and filename from 1.  Don't forget the
SIZE of the actual work.
c.	Exact process of the work - glop composition including pigment
amounts, sensitizer, final support material, etc., including anything
special.
d.	Exactly how you want your name to appear next the work, e.g. Georgia
Island 1 C Sandy King
e.	Please be concise.

4.	The artist must have permission forms for any person(s) or property
in the photograph, if applicable.
5.	Include a short bio of no more than 50-100 words that includes your
website. Should be in third person. Excessively long bios will be discarded
as unusable. (Hint: No one is going to edit it to shorten it to the required
word count).
6.	Include a short artist statement of no more than 50-100 words.
Should be in first person. Excessively long bios will be discarded as
unusable. (Hint: No one is going to edit it to shorten it to the required
word count).
7.	Deadline for submitting your work is July 16.  The earlier the
better.  I will notify you when I have picked it out of your dropbox or
other location. (note that I will not have email access July 6-15).
8.	The current practioners section is highly competitive. We have a
limited space and limited number of images to fit into the required size of
the book.  If your work is accepted, there is an additional requirement of a
questionnaire that will be sent to you which will ask you to describe your
working process. Details to be sent out to entrants upon acceptance.
9.	If accepted, there will also be a release form to sign and send back
to me via email, prior to publication submission.

NOTE: Submission is no guarantee that your image(s) will be chosen to be
published in this book. This will be a very competitive submission, given
the numbers of Carbon transfer printers of single transfer, double transfer,
and color.  We are very interested in work that pushes the boundaries of
this process. Although there is no monetary compensation, the benefits are a
publication line on the resume, and inclusion in a contemporary historical
snapshot of Carbon Transfer Printing.