[Alt-photo] Another good paper for cyanotype

raven erebus ravene at gmail.com
Fri Mar 23 19:53:14 UTC 2018

So I ordered some of the Sumi-E and it was so long ago that I forgot your
note about the sheet between the paper. I'm sure you know where this is
going. LOL

So that sheet, as you probably know, is terrible for cyanotype, though
still stronger and better than copy paper, and it actually holds up in the
wash rather well. I had torn it into four pieces for testing and kept
getting light blue prints, exposing longer and longer each time didn't
help. In fact I thought maybe the first one I had put the wrong side up or
something. But no it's just the plain cover sheet. haha I guess I'll be
waiting for the next sunny day to try the actual sumi-E paper.

I did get a better price on Amazon but the wait was slow as it shipped from
Sweden to California. It's currently $24 with shipping.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00511CUCO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also tried yupo which was tricky to get the solution to stick... and then
because it's basically plastic, there was a lot of moisture from the plant
matterial so I ended up with something that looked much like a lumen print.
Washing it out was the disappointment I expected in that mostly it all
washed away despite careful rinsing. I may try again using some of daniel
smith's watercolor ground, or some other gesso assuming any of them will
stick.

Looking forward to experiencing the gorgeous smooth blue of the sumi-E.

best,
Raven

On Wed, Jan 31, 2018 at 6:31 PM, Christina Z. Anderson via
Alt-photo-process-list <alt-photo-process-list at lists.altphotolist.org>