[Alt-photo] Ageing of New Cyanotype

John Isner john.isner at gmail.com
Tue Mar 27 18:37:35 UTC 2018

A few months ago (much less than a year!), I made my first batch of New
Cyanotype using the kit from Photographer's Formulary.  I created a curve
following Ron Reeder's method on the Freestyle Photo web site.  My prints
were very good -- until recently.

As the New Cyanotype aged, it went from a light green-yellow to a dark
blue-green.  By the time I was getting close to the bottom of the bottle,
my curve was no longer linearizing properly.  There was an almost complete
loss of tonal range in the shadows.    I had to discard most of my prints.

I should mention that I was routinely overexposing my prints.  I won't go
into the reason why, but I didn't think it was a factor because of what
Christopher James says in his book: "it's hard to overexpose cyanotype."

Here are my questions: (1) Even though New Cyanotype is supposed to have a
shelf life of one year, is it advisable to make a new curve periodically?   (2)
Does overexposure become a problem as New Cyanotype ages?