[Alt-photo] cyanotype toning question

Dennis Moser dennis.moser at gmail.com
Mon Nov 5 07:36:43 UTC 2018

A quick search this morning turned up the following:

>From US distributors, two sources for dry "wine tannin" (which is what mine
was marketed as, but further labelled as "gallo-tannic acid"):

https://www.northernbrewer.com/products/wine-tannin

https://brockshomebrew.com/products/tannin-powder

>From EU distributors:

https://www.the-home-brew-shop.co.uk/acatalog/Wine_Tannin_50g.html

Hope that helps. Another case of how many different names does this stuff
we use have?!

Best,

Dennis
~~
If your first move is brilliant, you’re in trouble. You don’t really know
how to follow it; you’re frightened of ruining it. So, to make a mess is a
good beginning. — Brian Eno

On Sun, Nov 4, 2018 at 10:36 PM John Isner <john.isner at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dennis,
> I finally got around to looking for crystlline gallo-tannic acid.  My
> local home brew store never heard of it.  They have tannic acid, but
> nothing on the label indicates that it is anything different from plain
> tannic acid.  An online search was equally futile.  Is gallo-tannic acid
> sold under a particular brand name?
> Thanks,
> John
>
> On Wed, Oct 24, 2018 at 2:58 AM Dennis Moser <dennis.moser at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Also, consider your source of tannic acid — crystalline gallo-tannic acid
>> (available from home brew stores) does not stain the papers I've used in
>> the past.
>>
>> Best,
>>
>> Dennis Moser
>> ~~
>> If your first move is brilliant, you’re in trouble. You don’t really know
>> how to follow it; you’re frightened of ruining it. So, to make a mess is a
>> good beginning. — Brian Eno
>>

>> On Tue, Oct 23, 2018 at 6:53 PM John Isner via Alt-photo-process-list <
>> alt-photo-process-list at lists.altphotolist.org> wrote:
>>
>>> Is there a toning for cyanotype (specifically, new cyanotype) that only
>>> minimally stains the paper?  Tannic acid turns the whites to ivory.  I
>>> have
>>> an application that needs to retain as much paper white as possible.
>>> Thank
>>> you.