[Alt-photo] IS IT ALT?

`Richard Knoppow dickburk at ix.netcom.com
Tue Nov 13 22:14:11 UTC 2018

    An extremely interesting question. To me alternative printing
methods are those other than "silver gelatin". The presence of
absence of silver is, to me, not the determining factor since
processes such as salt prints contain silver. The use of
extensive retouching goes back probably as far as photography
itself. When Daguerreotypes were the main process they were often
hand colored. Hand coloring was popular in the 1930s, 1940s,
1950s, at least until real color prints could be made fairly
economically. The coloring varied from fairly crude tinting to
very elaborate overpainting with oils, essentially using the
photo as a cartoon for the final picture. At some point I wonder
if these stop being photographs in the strictest sense. I rather
think that the worked up versions of your photos may fit in this
category.
    Most alternative printing methods use some sort of light
sensitive coating that either produces an image or can be treated
with a pigment or dye to produce an image but there are others
that are not strictly photographic. A trick I read about and
tried a long time ago was making pencil prints. A negative is
projected in an enlarger onto drawing paper. Pencils are used to
fill in the brighter portions until the overall result is dark.
When removed from the enlarger the paper will have a full scale
(tonal scale that is) version of the image on it. Takes a lot of
work and skill. Mine were rather crude but demonstrated the
process. I think this is a true alternative printing method. On
the other side were the very extensively worked up prints made by
William Mortensen. Lots of art work on the print. These were
based on conventional silver-gelatin prints and to me do not
qualify as alternative. Mortensen did work in alternative methods
particularly three color carbon. I have a rather higher opinion o
of him than many although he was certainly a bit of a fraud.
     I am getting off topic.
     I envy you your adventures and accomplishments.

--
Richard Knoppow
dickburk at ix.netcom.com
WB6KBL