[Alt-photo] IS IT ALT?

`Richard Knoppow dickburk at ix.netcom.com
Wed Nov 14 17:26:18 UTC 2018

    I've already posted my opinion but I need to say this: If
there are two of anything they are alternatives. So, unless
something is unique there is an alternative. This reduces to
saying that all processes are alternative if the objective is the
same. One can define "objective" but mostly here we mean some
sort of flat image that exists on its own as opposed to, say, a
projected image. Having said that I have seen numerous electronic
displays in museums. They are an alternative to a print on
something like paper or plastic sheet or cloth or whatever. So,
if something is not absolutely unique its an alternative.
    Defining "conventional photography" now depends on whether
one is talking about contemporary practice, which is mostly
electronic, or historical practice, which depends on the time
period. Silver-gelatin materials began with dry plates and silver
gelatin printing materials. This was by far the principle method
of creating photographic images for more than a century. However,
before that "conventional" might have meant wet plates and
something like salt or albumin prints and before that
Daguerreotypes. George Eastman wanted to take the difficulty out
of photography and make it available to anyone. He was quite
successful. All the really difficult part was done at the
factory. "You press the button we do the rest" was the motto and
was pretty much accomplished. The same can be said of the modern
electronic photography. Every cell phone has a camera in it and
one an view the pictures on the screen or even print them with a
hand held printer. Not much special knowledge or skill needed. Of
course, this is the "alternative" to chemical photography and has
pretty much supplanted it. It is now the "conventional" method.

--
Richard Knoppow
dickburk at ix.netcom.com
WB6KBL