[Alt-photo] Cuprotype, Cyanotype-Toning Trials

Jim Patterson jimbobnola at cox.net
Thu Sep 27 12:37:44 UTC 2018

Hi again,
If you are using Part A (copper sulfate) and Part B (ferric ammonium citrate, green) you can make each 24%.  When combined 1 part A + 1 part B, you get 12% copper sulfate and 12% FAC in the coating solution.

To tone a cuprotype black, you can soak briefly in a combo of old developers, wash and it will oxidize to a fairly permanent black pigment as it dries.  The old developers are pretty toxic though.

Also, you can get an excellent sepia by toning the print with selenium-sulfide toner, or sodium sulfide toner after the developer.  In this case the ferricyanide toner is not used.  Tone outside or in a fume hood as these toners are not nice either. I use the selenium-sulfide toner of Judy Segel, in Anchell’s darkroom cookbook.

Jim Patterson

Sent from my iPhone