[Frameworks] Letter to other Filmmakers Artists

Els van Riel elsvanriel at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 23 07:48:27 CDT 2010

Hi Frameworkers,

My name is Els van Riel, I'm living and working in Brussels, since 25
years now, with both 16mm-film and video.

Lovely to meet!

I agree that with both film and video, there are wonderfully truthful
moving images to make, each within its own limits.
To study the visual limits, many years ago, I put a magnifying glass
on both a video screened and a film screened (rear projection)... I
saw video pixels composed out of blue-red-green tiny rectangles
surrounded by a black border, the luminance determining the resulting
color of the image.
I know that nowadays many varieties exist due to the various new
video and projector systems, but next to them, with the same
magnifier, I saw and still see a 16mm film projected showing much
smaller pixels, sorry grains, each with a different 'personal' color,
and no black border...

(Putting a magnifier on your computer screen illustrates what I'm
referring to)

of course we don't watch movies with a magnifying glass, but I like
to believe our perceptive brain does...

all the best

Els