[Frameworks] Canon Auto Zoom 814 Electric

Jean-Louis Seguin seguin at alcor.concordia.ca
Fri Apr 15 07:38:12 CDT 2011

On 2011-04-15, at 5:35 AM, Kevin Timmins wrote:

> Hi all
>
> I purchased a broken Canon 814 a while back cheap as chips and now I'm looking to fix it. Main problem seems to be there is a battery stuck inside the handle due to battery acid. I've tried everything to get it out but it's well and truly stuck (it's probably been stuck in there for decades). Therefore the only way to remedy the problem is to take the handle apart. The whole camera seems to be assembled with small cross head screws. If I can get a screwdriver that will fit then hopefully I'll have a nice working camera. Is there a good screwdriver set (may come in handy to have different size flat heads for my nizo's lens/body also) that I can purchase?
>
> Thanks Frameworks, grateful as ever!
>
> Kevin

Hi Kevin,

All Japanese cameras use JIS type screws which are subtly different than the standard American Philips cross-head type.

For best results, use only good quality JIS screwdrivers.

If corrosion is apparent on the screw, put a micro-drop of rust penetrator (WD-40 will do) with the tip of a small screwdriver and allow to penetrate for a few minutes. Keep screwdriver absolutely perpendicular and always apply firm downward pressure. This way you will never cam out.

Good Luck!

Cheers,
Jean-Louis