[Frameworks] Forbes editorial about Kodak

Jonathan Walley walleyj at denison.edu
Tue Oct 4 09:05:55 CDT 2011

Dear Aaron, et. al.,

Before the flamewar begins in earnest...

You've been treated pretty roughly in the responses to your post so
far. Normally I'd like to see a higher tone than "go fuck yourself" on
Frameworks (I can get all the "go fuck yourself" attitude I want from
U.S. politics). But you went on an experimental film email list, and
gleefully proclaimed the death of the medium that has historically
defined that tradition (and, I would argue, still does). More than
just proclaiming - prematurely, I'd say - its death, you tapdanced on
its grave, regurgitating every unexamined, received notion about the
glorious digital future. Your main complaint against film seemed to be
that it's harder to work with than digital media, which doesn't seem
true, and who ever said artmaking should be easy?. You cited an
editorial in Forbes - hardly an expert source on the complicated issue
at hand. Then you tried to duck responsibility for taking the
positions you had by essentially claiming that you were just the
messenger, as if your message was a matter of objective fact. Sorry,
but I think you were asking for it.

Jonathan