[Frameworks] Andy Warhol's SLEEP / Providence, RI / Feb 18 / Magic Lantern + RK Projects

Myron Ort zeno at sonic.net
Mon Feb 13 13:20:37 CST 2012

Still not sure which book I saw the story, but I did find this, so
the discrediting was in print:

Pittsburg Post Gazette, Weekend Mag, Friday, February 6, 1998

Legend has it that Brakhage was watching Warhol’s “Sleep” (which
consists of a sleeping person) and hated it. Someone in the room
suggested that instead of watching it at 24 frames per second, he
slow it down to 16 frames, which is the way it was intended to be
seen. At the slower speed, Brakhage allegedly had a change of heart.

  Brakhage:
"It’s a great story, but it’s not true. “I never did like it,
It’sinconceivable that I would sit all the way through ‘Sleep.’ I
don’t know very many people who have, inclulding Warhol.
“My interest in Warhol as a film-maker is that he turned the
anthropological camera on his own world with honesty. I think
‘Chelsea Girls’ is wonderful. All of his greatness as a filmmaker is
in that film.”