[Frameworks] books about Film and Perception

nicky.hamlyn at talktalk.net nicky.hamlyn at talktalk.net
Tue Feb 21 10:58:05 CST 2012

In relation to Arnheim's "limitations" point below, there's a brilliant interview with jean Renoir here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKCrOLcDbjE

Nicky.

-----Original Message-----
From: Jonathan Thomas <cinemametafisica at yahoo.co.uk>
To: Experimental Film Discussion List <frameworks at jonasmekasfilms.com>
Sent: Tue, 21 Feb 2012 16:40
Subject: Re: [Frameworks] books about Film and Perception

"Of course, Arnheim did write an ART AND VISUAL PERCEPTION focused on film - FILM AS ART. Though the science behind it has largely been discredited, it's still a very important work, a totally enjoyable read, and, I think, a valid aesthetic statement."

Indeed. The main reason why I like Arnheim's 'Film as Art' is his assertion that it is cinema's limitations that make it an art, and that the ceaseless striving towards 'higher' production values results in nothing more than a "cinematic wax museum" - a phrase of his that often comes to mind in this HD, 3D world.

Jonathan

cinema metafisica - artistic research into the cinematic apparatus and the still life tradition

DecemberLab - supporting, promoting and developing artists' moving image