[Frameworks] Re-authored Imagery Culled from Commercial DVDs

Aaron F. Ross aaron at digitalartsguild.com
Mon Jan 2 14:56:23 CST 2012

Hi Ken,

I'm not going to touch the legal questions, but I will recommend some
Windows software... if you're on the Mac, then I think your options
would be quite limited.

Most DVD rippers simply remove the copy protection and clone the
entire disc without changing the .VOB file structure. For that, I
recommend DVD Decrypter, which is free. Clone the DVD to your hard
drive first.

Once the encryption has been cracked, then use VideoReDo to extract
the short clips you need. This is an inexpensive program designed to
let you edit commercials out of MPEG streams. Using VideoReDo, you
can extract a clip of arbitrary length directly to an MPEG-2 file,
which exactly fills the need you described.

Of course, MPEG is a delivery format, not an editing format, so you
may have mixed results trying to load MPEG clips into your video
editing program of choice. It's possible that you may need to try
several different editing applications to find one that works.
Another option is to use yet another program to convert the MPEG to
an editable container and codec, such as Quicktime Animation. You
might be able to use Quicktime Pro Export for that. When I'm in a
pinch I use a free video conversion program called "Super".

As you can see, it's not a straightforward process, and you have to
do a fair amount of work to get around the restrictions, but it can be done.

Happy culture jamming,

Aaron