[Frameworks] technical question about modifying the shutter operation of an EIKI 16mm film projector

FCO. JAVIER HURTADO MOMPEO xhurtado at ub.edu
Sat Aug 2 22:40:57 UTC 2014

Thanks Scott and everybody
(I saw a picture of a Bolex shutter, very inspiring and also the kinoton but very expensive this redesign je)
You are right this is a redesign more tha n a modification.
But I will keep on with the main structure of the Slim Slot  Load Eikie projector because his load and drive film system allows to run the film more fast tan 24fps and slower and also allows to make  more or less radical speed changes without damage the flm.
On the other hand yes we are using Arduino micros to control the step motors which will move the two shutter,  the main motor which runs the film and the sprockets of the Eiki (this motor originally is an AC motor, which is really dificult to control it) and also the light (perhaps a power led instead of the original lamp)
I think that the main problem we have is mechanical to redesign the two shutters  there is almost no space in the box of the projector.
So we are not trying to change the speed schutter mecanically
I try to ask whether with this variable obturation to change the amount of black or the amonut of light  would produce a perceptible  effect on the projection. Because my technical partner thinks that would be the same dinamics than to speed up or down one single shutter with the step motor.
Well we will try it and see