[Frameworks] Max MSP/Jitter

Peter Mudie peter.mudie at uwa.edu.au
Wed Aug 6 14:47:13 UTC 2014

That ‘Video Silence’ piece is fascinating.
Peter
(Perth)

From: Zach Poff <z at zachpoff.com<mailto:z at zachpoff.com>>
Date: Wednesday, 6 August 2014 9:39 pm
To: "frameworks at jonasmekasfilms.com<mailto:frameworks at jonasmekasfilms.com>" <frameworks at jonasmekasfilms.com<mailto:frameworks at jonasmekasfilms.com>>
Subject: [Frameworks] Max MSP/Jitter

+1 for Vade's shaders. I haven't used them for anything useful but they are a great example of digital tools emulating analog processes. I use MAX for all of my work, although it only sometimes resembles analog processes. Here are 2 examples:

In "The Shape of Memory" MAX algorithmically re-edited found Super8 footage based on image-similarity, so it begins with one image and then searches through all the other frames looking for something similar. Rinse and repeat.
http://www.zachpoff.com/projects/the-shape-of-memory/

In "Video Silence" MAX watches live TV and compiles the most silent moments, so the result is a constantly-updated loop of fleeting glances, awkward pauses and other interruptions of the sonic flow.
http://www.zachpoff.com/projects/video-silence/

-Zach Poff