[Frameworks] Cameraless Filmmaking emulation in photoshop

Warren Cockerham warrencockerham at gmail.com
Wed Aug 27 18:46:17 UTC 2014

Hi Rajesh,

I know PS still ingests video and you're still able to work frame-by-frame.
Many folks still use PS for rotoscoping and video cutouts because the
aesthetic looks handmade - like Kelly Sears' Voice on the Line
<http://vimeo.com/8700224>. But in CS3, there was a filmstrip function that
allowed you to work on a strip of video as if it were a strip of film and
the product would kinda resemble a cameraless film without discreet frames
like... Len Lye's Color Box <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PgNr0IZRDE> ,
Ben Russell's Trypps 1 <http://vimeo.com/7480364> , Jodie Mack.s A Joy,
<http://vimeo.com/8375376>Brakhage's Night Music
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xk8Bs2w5pUI>, etc. I'm trying to show
examples of digital simulacra of the real/organic thing...  or a different,
digital, material-alienated thing....

But thanks for the suggestion; that dude's pretty excited about some
smart-object video packaging. And yes, those filter packages in PS are
examples of digital simulacra that are both material and labor alienating
for sure. But, I'm looking specifically for this cameraless, frameless,
digital example.

thanks again,
Warren