[Frameworks] Kodak Film Stocks to be Discontinued, Announced in December

Beebe, Roger W. beebe.77 at osu.edu
Sun Aug 31 20:17:13 UTC 2014

I’ve been lamenting the loss of these stocks along with the rest of you.  But I also was thinking of the bigger historical context of this current crisis, and that gave me some peace of mind.  I know that when I arrived at the University of Florida in 2000, a colleague explained that the reason they’d stopped shooting film was that “it’s so hard to get film stock now.”  My response:  800.621.3456.  Seemed easy to me.  But he showed me an info sheet from Buffalo in the 1970s, which listed the 7 or 8 places in town you could go to pick up a roll of motion picture film.  For him (and his generation), the loss of local vendors was a giant crisis, one big enough to drive some to abandon film altogether.  It seems to me we’re in a similar moment, where those of us who’ve relied on Kodak as our one-stop shop feel like we’re at a critical juncture, but maybe it’s really not that bad after all.

This thread has been reassuring in pointing to all the ways that we’ll still be able to keep going after the inevitable decline of Kodak.  Maybe it won’t be quite as convenient, maybe we’ll pay a few bucks more, but it sounds like we’ll continue to have plenty of tools at our disposal, including maybe some new ones that will be wonderful in ways we haven’t yet discovered.

In solidarity,
R.

p.s.  Remember how cheap film used to be before the Hunt Brothers tried to corner the silver market?  I don’t either.  THE GOOD OL’ DAYS ARE RIGHT NOW.