[Frameworks] Films on Farming

Sarah Neely sarah.neely at stir.ac.uk
Fri Nov 18 12:23:55 UTC 2016

I'm not sure if it has been mentioned yet, but Scottish experimental filmmaker, Margaret Tait's wonderful film following the seasonal changes on an Orkney croft, Land Makar (1981) (Makar is the Scots word for poet) http://movingimage.nls.uk/film/3700,
is definitely worth looking at.  It is both a portrait of the crofter, Mary Graham Sinclair, and the landscape where she lived and worked.

Tait was from Orkney and her family were well-known agricultural merchants.  Mary Graham Sinclair was a neighbour of Tait's and she knew her very well, which comes across in the film.

All the best,
Sarah Neely