[Libburn-hackers] Re: Test request to owners of recent Linux kernels

Zsolt Kúti la.tinca at gmail.com
Sat Oct 10 15:21:03 CDT 2009

On Sat, 10 Oct 2009 21:02:04 +0200
"Thomas Schmitt" <scdbackup at gmx.net> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > xfburn is what I occasionally use.
>
> That should suffice for a is-still-alive
> statement. :))
>

> > Instead of mount I had to use mount_cd9660 which knows -s option
> > but that makes no difference.
>
> xorriso issues a mount command for the user
> where it inserts the start sector address.
> (This compensates the fact that neither Linux
>  nor FreeBSD allow to address DVD sessions by
>  session number or by volume id. Linux mount
>  allows session numbers - but only with CD-ROM.)

> New try:
>
> I read
>   http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=mount&sektion=8
> which says:
>  "Use of the mount is preferred over the use of the file system
> specific mount_XXX commands.
>  "
> and :
>  "    mount -t cd9660 -o -e /dev/cd0 /cdrom
>   causes mount to execute the equivalent of:
>       /sbin/mount_cd9660 -e /dev/cd0 /cdrom
>  "
> So i think i have to pass -s via -o .
> Would this work:
>
>   mount -t cd9660 -o noexec,nosuid \
>         -o -s 813056 /dev/... /tmp/mnt
It does not work. mount has no knowledge of the specific -s option.

>From the man of mount:
"Additional options specific to file system types which are not
             internally known (see the description of the -t option
below) may be described in the manual pages for the associated
             /sbin/mount_XXX utilities."

and

"However, for the following file system types: cd9660, mfs,
             msdosfs, nfs, nfs4, ntfs, nwfs, nullfs, portalfs, smbfs,
udf, and unionfs, mount will not call nmount(2) directly and will
instead attempt to execute a program in /sbin/mount_XXX where XXX is
             replaced by the file system type name.  For example, nfs
file systems are mounted by the program /sbin/mount_nfs."

So it's a kind of catch 22: use mount is preferred, but that
delegates to specific command, moreover mount that has no knowledge of
specific option that it could delegate.
Nevertheless I am going to ask an expert about this.

Bye,
Zsolt