[Libburn-hackers] Re: libburn never finishes burning DVD image

David Mohr damailings at mcbf.net
Wed Oct 28 12:07:07 CDT 2009

On Wed, Oct 28, 2009 at 10:25 AM, Heiko Baums <heiko at baums-on-web.de> wrote:
> Am Tue, 27 Oct 2009 23:01:11 +0100
> schrieb "Thomas Schmitt" <scdbackup at gmx.net>:
>
>> If this controls libburn function
>> burn_write_opts_set_write_type() then "SAO"
>> triggered DAO for DVD-R. (It is called SAO with
>> CD and DAO with DVD. There is also CD DAO but
>> libburn does not do that.)
>
> I don't know how Xfburn calls libburn and which libburn functions are
> triggered by Xfburn.

That's what xfburn is doing, see xfburn-burn-image-dialog.c:253:
  case WRITE_MODE_TAO:
    burn_write_opts_set_write_type (burn_options, BURN_WRITE_TAO,
BURN_BLOCK_MODE1);
    break;
  case WRITE_MODE_SAO:
    burn_write_opts_set_write_type (burn_options, BURN_WRITE_SAO,
BURN_BLOCK_SAO);
    break;

>> Another problem seems to be the slowdown.
>> (I assume you did not get it with growisofs.)
>
> You're right. With growisofs there is no slow down but not with cdrskin
> run from the command line either.
>
> I guess the slow down in Xfburn is because Xfburn reads the libburn
> output and calculates the average speed. And because libburn doesn't
> finish burning and gives no output or only the timeout the average
> speed gets slower and slower. Just a guess.

You guessed correctly. There is no true slowdown, it's just that
xfburn calculates the speed as "data written / time".

~David