[Libburn-hackers] Re: libburn never finishes burning DVD image

Thomas Schmitt scdbackup at gmx.net
Wed Oct 28 12:53:23 CDT 2009

Hi,

> > David, do you understand german language ?
> Yes.

I suspected but was in doubt because of your
mail client's time zone.

> Do you think that presenting the choice of TAO and SAO to the user is
> inaccurate then? Any suggestions on how to improve it?

The modes impose certain restrictions or side
effects which vary with media types. Rather
than writing a fat howto about the right choice
i introduced API call
  burn_write_opts_auto_write_type()
which gets readily programmed job parameters:
  struct burn_write_opts *opts, struct burn_disc *disc
and then chooses a suitable mode - or tells why
there is none.

cdrskin offers -tao, -sao, -dao by cdrecord
traditions. If none of them is given, then
it lets burn_write_opts_auto_write_type()
decide.

In xorriso i do not offer a user's choice
currently. But if Heiko's problem would have
turned out to be due to DAO then i would have
had to introduce such an option.

I propose you add a "AUTO" alternative to the
"SAO" / "TAO" choice.
(burn_write_opts_auto_write_type() should be
 called when all other settings are made to opts
 and disc. Media state, -multi, number of tracks
 ...  everything does matter for the decision.)

You can also use burn_write_opts_auto_write_type()
for checking whether the write mode set with
burn_write_opts_set_write_type() is suitable
together with the other parameters. (flag bit0)

Have a nice day :)

Thomas