[Molnbo_Ecovilliage_Project] some benefits from comfrey (vallört)

L. CienFuegos laurituscronicus at hotmail.com
Sun May 23 05:10:46 CDT 2010

Hi ppl, hope you are all well, and the proyect is advancing nicely.
Happy birthday to the two kids Johanna & Ed, may you never grow up to much to loose the ability to dream, and enough to be able to make these dreams come alive!

Found some info about comfrey wich i think is valuable.
Hugs and have a great party
Laura

from http://www.theolivepress.eu/home_garden.html#feedsoil

    One
of the most useful herbs to grow is Comfrey. Not for using in the
kitchen but for it’s useful garden related properties. Our seven small
cuttings obtained ten years ago are now several hundred strong plants
surrounding our large vegetable plot but you only need half a dozen
plants to make a useful contribution to your gardening. We use the
plants as follows.
 1. They are grown around the vegetable plot as a
first line of defence for snails. Snails love the leaves but they don’t
eat much before they have had enough so we can hand collect large
snails from under the broad shady leaves to put in the snail cage to be
fed on rosemary cuttings for three weeks before cooking.

2. We harvest leaves three or four times a year as the roots of the
plants go very deep and extract nutrients from the soil below the root
level of the vegetables you grow. They are used in several ways.

      3.
We place a line of cut leaves around new seed beds and newly planted
plantlets as a barrier – not a hundred percent effective but it helps
and we don’t need to sprinkle as much ecological snail/slug powder
around.
 4. We fill a small tapped barrel with leaves and let them
rot down. The liquid can be tapped off and diluted as an excellent
natural fertilizer for vegetables - especially fruit vegetables such as
tomatoes and beans - and flowering plants in the garden and in
containers. We also have an untapped barrel in which we cover the
leaves with water to rot down. This produces a more dilute fertiliser
in about a month.

      5. As the leaves have a high potassium content we mulch our row of raspberries with them twice a year.

      6. When we plant our potatoes later this month we will wrap each seed potato in leaves.

      7. In May we will line bean trenches with the leaves and then cover with compost from the compost heap.

      8. We add layers of leaves to our compost bins to speed the breakdown of the garden and kitchen waste.

      9. Occasionally partially dried leaves are fed as a treat to our laying hens.

10. If you sprain an ankle or wrist a poultice can speed recovery.
Comfrey used to be called knitbone as the leaves were used to speed the
setting of broken bones.

    The
quickest way of establishing a clump of comfrey is to obtain cuttings.
There are several UK sources on the internet. Within Spain you may come
across it in the northern regions. We occasionally have spare plants in
the Spring but the cost of postage means that we have to charge