[MOSAIC-news] Upcoming M-CAST and interesting TED talk

Nicholas Horton nhorton at smith.edu
Mon Nov 29 12:59:04 CST 2010

On December 3rd, Dan Flath will be leading an M-CAST about
"Using the Wiki to Share Curricular Ideas"

http://www.causeweb.org/wiki/mosaic/

Before the conversation, we'll have a tour, showing how the kind of email
conversations and in-the-hall conversations we always have can be easily and
usefully posted, showing how to assemble example banks (as for contour
diagrams), and how to do day-to-day postings based on experience in class.
The wiki becomes more useful when everyone joins in - don't be shy! This is
not intellectual judo. No one is going to criticize. We all want help in
designing and teaching our classes and are willing to pay for it by offering
our experience in return. Community can be a pleasure.

M-Casts are 20-minute seminars broadcast made over the Internet on the 2nd,
4th, and 5th Friday of each month.  They are part of Project MOSAIC
<http://www.causeweb.org/wiki/mosaic/index.php/Main_Page> , an NSF-sponsored
project to improve undergraduate STEM education by better integrating
Modeling, Statistics, Computation, and Calculus.  M-Casts are designed to
provide a quick and easy way for educators to share ideas, get reactions
from others, and form collaborations.

M-Casts are recorded and posted on the Internet soon after the event.

This document is part of an interactive MOSAIC Wiki
<http://www.causeweb.org/wiki/mosaic/index.php/Main_Page> , which provides a
forum for sharing additional ideas and materials, for discussion, and for
reports of experiences using the ideas presented in the M-Cast.  Access to
most of the Wiki requires a login account, available to educators by
request. Contact Danny Kaplan
<http://www.causeweb.org/wiki/mosaic/index.php/User:Kaplan>  for an account
or more information.

If you have a MOSAIC login, click on the title of any M-CAST to access the
Wiki pages for materials, discussion, etc.

In addition, Conrad Wolfram's new TED talk on "teaching kids real math with
computers" may also be of interest to the MOSAIC community.

http://www.ted.com/talks/lang/eng/conrad_wolfram_teaching_kids_real_math_wit
h_computers.html

Here's a summary of his talk:

>From rockets to stock markets, many of humanity's most thrilling creations
are powered by math. So why do kids lose interest in it? Conrad Wolfram says
the part of math we teach -- calculation by hand -- isn't just tedious, it's
mostly irrelevant to real mathematics and the real world. He presents his
radical idea: teaching kids math through computer programming.

About Conrad Wolfram
Conrad Wolfram runs the worldwide arm of Wolfram Research, the mathematical
lab behind the cutting-edge knowledge engine Wolfram Alpha.

Nicholas Horton
Department of Mathematics and Statistics, Smith College
Clark Science Center, Northampton, MA 01063-0001
http://www.math.smith.edu/~nhorton