[MOSAIC-news] No M-Cast this week -- but September is just around the corner

Randall Pruim rpruim at calvin.edu
Thu Aug 25 18:10:43 CDT 2011

Scheduling an M-cast for this week sounded like such a good idea in
early summer.  Now we're not sure what we were thinking...

We've postponed the M-CAST originally scheduled for Friday 26 August
until September 23.  The new data are

Sept 23, 2011 A Computational/Modeling Project using DEs and Data
Rachel Miller Neilen (Duquesne)
Time: 1pm EDT (12 CDT, 10 PDT)

Abstract: We will discuss a simple computational project that one can
assign in an undergraduate calculus, differential equations or
modeling course to introduce the basic concepts in mathematical
modeling. We illustrate these concepts using a biological example in
which an ordinary differential equation is used to describe fish
growth. During exposure to low dissolved oxygen (DO), the
instantaneous growth rate of the fish decreases. Students are asked to
use data from published lab experiments to estimate parameters in the
model, answer biological questions regarding various exposure
scenarios using the model, and present their results in a lab report.
Analyses and simulations may be carried out in Matlab, R, or Excel.

Our first M-cast of the season will come one week earlier, on Sept.
16,  with a presentation by internationally-known statistician Terry
Speed, "Simulation and Theory: Necessity is Truly the Mother of
Invention."

Hope your semesters all get off to a good start... and that we see you
on an M-cast sometime soon.

---rjp

=
=
=
=
=
   Randall Pruim                        phone:  616.526.7113
   Dept. of Mathematics and Statistics  email:  rpruim at calvin.edu
   Calvin College                      office:  NH 284
   1740 Knollcrest Circle SE              URL:  http://www.calvin.edu/~rpruim/
   Grand Rapids, MI 49546-4403            FAX:  616.526.6501
==============|  Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur. |